*Board of Directors Roster
Distance Learning - Learning at a Distance
Over the past 10 years there has been a tremendous growth in the use of distance education. Driven by the introduction of new technologies (on-demand custom printing, videotape, cable, satellite communications, CD-ROM, and now the Internet), distance education seems to be everywhere. It is not, however, something new.
Distance education has been around for over 100 years!
Once known as home study, distance education has also been called correspondence study, independent study, distributed education, and Web-based instruction. The most current term in use, and perhaps the most generic and inclusive in description, is distance learning. Distance learning consists of instruction through print or electronic communications media to persons engaged in learning in a place or time different from that of the instructor(s) or other students ( Moore, Cookson, & Donaldson, 1990 ). This is a rather dry way of saying that distance learning allows you to learn what you want to, where you want, and when you want to. It allows you to shape your learning environment based on your own unique needs and learning style.
Distance learning has become an important method of study for individuals whom, for whatever reasons, cannot take advantage of traditional, classroom-based instruction. If you find yourself in this category, you are not alone. Here is a short list of alumni from accredited distance learning schools who received the well-rounded education necessary to be successful in their chosen careers:
- Walter Cronkite, News Analyst and Commentator
- David Eisenhower, father of Dwight D. Eisenhower, former U.S. President
- Benjamin Fairless, former President of U.S. Steel Corporation
- Barry Goldwater, United States Senator, Arizona
- Charlton Heston, Movie Actor
- Charles W. Nash, former President, General Motors
- Thomas Stafford, Astronaut, U.S. Air Force
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, former U.S. President
- Andrea Yeager, Professional Tennis Player
- Ward Kimball, Disney Vice President & Chief Animator
- Ralph E. Flanders, former United States Senator, Vermont
- Harry Golden, Newspaper Columnist and Author of Only in America
- Edwin Williams, former Dean of Graduate School, University of Pennsylvania
At the Akron Digital Academy, you can study wherever and whenever you choose. You can progress at your own pace. You set your own schedule around your family, work, and community commitments. No wonder it's the perfect solution for so many! Add your name to the growing list of successful distance learners today.